Homemade Deodorant


It has taken me WAY too long to post this AMAZING recipe that I shared in my coconut cooking class.  I was introduced to homemade deodorant by two sister-in-laws that use this recipe.  They gave me a little to try, and I was hooked!

Homemade deodorant seemed a bit impossible, I mean don't you need a bunch of crazy ingredients, patents, factory equipment, etc to make this stuff?  It is actually amazingly simple and so much better for you than store bought--you can even eat it!  It is also only about $1 a batch and lasts 2 adults 3 months of usage!  Coconut oil has great anti bacterial properties and moisturizes at the same time.   
This will feel totally weird, I get that because I had my reservations, but give it a try.  Using your index and middle fingers to apply will feel weird for about a week :)  I used to wash my hands after application, but now I just wipe any extra residue anywhere on my skin.  

My husband and I love this.  There is no more stinky armpits.  If you think it is NOT working it may be because you are not using enough, or there is residual scent in your clothing.  My armpits have even passed a smell test after two days of no showering (applied deodorant each morning).  Sorry I can't go longer than that without a shower--so I'm not sure how long it would last.

  Polyester clothes used to really stink and I often avoided wearing them because my armpits would just stink no matter what I did.  That is no longer a problem.  The only thing you smell is a subtle coconut smell.

Does it stain?  I have not noticed any problem with this.   

TWO DRAWBACKS: 
1.  This is NOT an antiperspirant.  You will still sweat.  I seem to sweat a bit less than if I had nothing.  But this isn't too much of a drawback, because I sweat through antiperspirant as well.
2.  This melts in heat so it is a bit difficult to use traveling.  I still take it scooping out a small amount and placing in a snack ziplock bag.  If it melt and separates, you can just remix it.  

There are just 3 ingredients:
Coconut Oil
Baking Soda
Arrowroot Powder

You can then add some a few drops of a favorite essential oil (about 5 drops) if you'd like for some subtle scent.  I have liked using bergamot oil.  This recipe was taken from the blog Passionate Homemaking if you want to check out her link.


Ingredients:
6-8 Tbsp Coconut oil (solid state)
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup arrowroot powder (arrowroot is preferred)
Directions:
  1. Combine equal portions of baking soda & arrowroot powder
  2. Slowly add coconut oil and work it in with a spoon/fork or hand blender (although I think it is easier to just do it by hand.  It is super fast) until it maintains a firm but pliable texture. It should be about the same texture as commercial deodorant, solid but able to be applied easily. If it is too wet, add further arrowroot powder/cornstarch to thicken.  In the winter I like to use a bit more coconut oil because with the house colder, deodorant is more malleable.  In summer, 6 TBS works great.
  3. Scoop this recipe into  a small container with lid and apply with fingers with each use. Makes about 1 cup. This recipe lasts about 3 months for two people with regular daily use.



Use about this much per armpit--you can experiment and use less or more according to need.
This recipe makes three of these containers.  I actually have mine in an old lotion flip lid container for easier access/use.

I've had lots of people try this now and love it--even going so far as to request it for birthday presents (only a $1---sure!!)!  Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment