Homemade Applesauce

I went to a canning class the other day on applesauce. I hadn't tasted homemade applesauce in YEARS, and I was reminded of how amazingly GOOD it is! Below is my friend's favorite apple ratio blend. When I made my own the other day I only used five kinds of apples and it still tasted great. It is delicious all by itself or on top of pancakes/waffles or warm gingerbread cake!

Use least 3 kinds of Apples:
Fuji, Golden Rush, Pink Lady, Yellow (Golden) Delicious
Gala, Winesap, McIntosh, Jonathon, Braeburn, honey crisp
-Season with cinnamon (and a hint of nutmeg and cloves)

I'm not going to go into canning details...but I will just give you a basic guideline if you want to have some on hand in your fridge or freeze it (which is what I did most recently since I don't have all the canning equipment--and it is easier!). Note: It took 14 apples to make the quantity in the picture above.

1. Peel and core all your apples. Cut into large chunks and place into large cooking pot with 1/4 c. water and cinnamon/sices (if desired). No sugar or salt is necessary. Cover pan with tight fitting lid and cook them for 20 minutes on Medium-High. Turn off heat and just let it sit on your stove steaming until it cools down a bit.
2. Blend cooked apples and their juices to desired consistency (pulse for chunky applesauce or blend for awhile to get baby-food like applesauce.  Immersion blenders work great too.
3. Pour into storage containers. If freezing, make sure to let applesauce cool down to room temperature and label container before placing into freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment