Basic Basil Pesto

When I make pesto, I usually just throw everything in. But below are approx. measurements! This freezes great; I like to freeze pesto in small portions using ice cube trays or small tupperware. I use A LOT of pesto for a bunch of different things: soups, pasta, sandwiches, vegetable dishes, dips, etc.

Blend the following until smooth:
salt to taste
1 garlic clove
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (don't have to toast, but I think it is better)
3 c. packed basil leaves
1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 c. Parmesan or pecorino romano cheese
juice from 1 lemon (optional--but I like the extra fresh kick and it keeps basil nice and green)
1/4 c. parsley (optional-also helps create a BRIGHT green pesto)

-If you want some pesto recipe ideas, just type in "Pesto" in the search blog tool.


No comments:

Post a Comment