Homemade Muesli

Muesli is a common breakfast item in Europe.  If you like to make homemade granola, this is very similar, you just don't use any oil or sugar.  So it is cheaper, easier, and obviously healthier.  You also don't even need to cook it, but I prefer baking it a bit to toast everything since I think it brings out more flavor.  This breakfast REALLY stays with you.  Say goodbye to morning hunger pains with just a small serving of this!

This is a flexible recipe, but I'll give you approx. measurements that I use if you want to follow them...

On a large 11x 17 sheet pan make a 8-10 cup mixture using a combination of the following:
7 c. 1 minute oats (can use whole oats too, but I like how the minute oats soften in the milk better)
1/3 c. ground flax
1/3 c. wheat germ
1 c. slivered almonds
1/2 c. diced pecans
1/2-1 c. slivered coconut
-Mix all together.  Bake 350 for 30 minutes stirring and respreading 1/2 way through tfor even browning.
-Remove from oven.  Stir in dried fruit, crushed unsweetened dried banana chips, etc.
-Store in sealed container/bag/glass jar for---well until you eat it all gone.  It keeps a LONG time!
-Serve with yogurt of milk (I prefer Almond Milk).  With the dried fruit, it is sweet enough for me, but if you want a bit more of a sweet taste, drizzle a little honey over the top.


No comments:

Post a Comment