Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp

I guess rhubarb isn't a common ingredient in most households, but if you are feeling daring--give it a try! Rhubarb desserts were a favorite of my grandpa, so I grew up enjoying a few different ways of eating it.  I love the tartness.  I now have my own rhubarb plant in my garden so that I can enjoy making rhubarb desserts often! (picture credit to Cafe Delites)


Filling:
4 c. chopped rhubarb
2 lb. fresh strawberries, diced
1/2 c. sugar (or maple syrup)
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
3 TBS orange juice concentrate
6 TBS arrowroot or cornstarch
-Combine all ingredients and place into glass or ceramic baking dish.

Topping:

1 c. oats
1 c. flour (or gluten free flour or just another cup of oats)
2/3 c. brown sugar (or maple syrup)
2/3 c. butter or coconut oil, melted
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
-Combine topping ingredients in one bowl and stir until mixed well.  Sprinkle over Rhubarb and strawberry filling.

-Bake at 375 for 30 minutes until fruit begins to bubble and topping turns golden brown.  Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment